Getting a new smartphone is always exciting, but things can get complicated if you want to use it on a different carrier than the one it is locked to. Carrier locks limit which networks a phone can connect to, often forcing you to stay with one service provider.
Thankfully, it is possible to unlock your Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus so you can use it on whichever carrier you please. Unlocking gives you more freedom and flexibility when choosing cell phone plans. This guide will walk you through the step-by-step process to unlock a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus phone from any carrier restrictions.
Overview of Unlocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus
Unlocking a smartphone like the Galaxy Note 10 Plus allows you to use it on other compatible networks besides the original carrier. Once unlocked, you can insert any carrier’s SIM card and access their service.
Here are some key things to know about unlocking your Note 10 Plus:
- Unlock codes are used to unlock the phone. Each device has a unique code.
- Unlocking does not void the phone’s warranty or hardware protections.
- The unlocking process is legal in many countries like the USA. Some carriers used to ban unlocking.
- Unlocking gives you more flexibility to change carriers and get better deals.
- It allows you to use the Note 10 Plus when traveling internationally by inserting local carrier SIMs.
Now let’s dive into the step-by-step unlocking process for a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus…
Also Read: How to Unlock Your Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Prerequisites to Meet Before Unlocking
Before starting the unlock process, make sure your Note 10 Plus and account status meets these requirements:
- The phone must be paid off in full if purchased on an installment plan. Any owing balances or fees need to be paid to the carrier before unlocking.
- The phone should have “clean” IMEI status. No blocks, bad payment history or theft reports tied to it.
- You must be the legal owner of the device. Second-hand phones can have complicated unlock requirements.
- Verify the phone is not SIM locked to the original carrier. SIM locks can override any unlocking.
- The account holder will need to consent to the unlock or initiate the request themselves in most cases.
As long as you meet those requirements, you can move forward with the unlocking process on your Galaxy Note 10 Plus.
Determine Your Carrier and Specific Lock Status
All carrier locks are not created equal. The exact unlock process often depends on who currently has the device locked.
Here are some ways to determine what carrier your Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus is connected to:
Check the SIM Card
The fastest way is to eject the SIM card tray and read who the issuing carrier is directly printed on the card.
On Android devices, the SIM tray is typically located on the left or right side towards the top or bottom. Use the included ejection pin tool to pop open the tray gently.
Examine the Boot Logo
When you first power on your phone, look closely at the splash screen logo. Most major US carriers print their brand there. Verizon phones say Verizon, AT&T displays the AT&T globe logo and so forth.
Investigate Carrier Bloatware Apps
Scroll through your full app list on the Note 10 Plus. Pre-installed carrier apps can indicate who your provider is. Common examples include AT&T Call Protect, T-Mobile TV or Sprint Fun & Games.
Check Device Info Menus
You can view additional carrier details in the Settings app. Go to Settings > About Phone > SIM Card status info. This will list the SIM carrier.
Or try Settings > Software Information > Service provider SW ver. Some carrier versions are listed there.
Once you confirm the carrier, look-up that specific company’s Galaxy Note 10 Plus unlock requirements…
Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus Unlock Steps
Verizon has straightforward unlocking support pages for newer Galaxy devices like the Note 10 Plus. Their policy meets most of the common regulatory requirements in countries like the USA.
Here are the key Verizon unlock steps:
- You must have had active Verizon service on the device for at least 60 days. This period needs to have “validated payment history”.
- If buying second-hand, the device must be fully paid off. Any payment plans must show as completed.
- You can unlock via the My Verizon app or website after meeting the above criteria. Full instructions are listed here.
- Verizon legally has to process and complete the unlock within 2 business days after receiving the request.
That covers getting your Verizon-branded Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus unlocked quickly and easily.
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus Unlock
AT&T has their own unlock policy in compliance with US laws and carrier regulations.
Here are the key steps for unlocking an AT&T Note 10 Plus:
- The device must be fully paid off if purchased on AT&T Next or a similar payment plan. All invoices showing $0 balance.
- Prepaid phones need to have been active on AT&T for at least 6 months.
- Postpaid monthly billed devices must show at least 60 days of active service with no past due payments.
- AT&T allows unlocks online, through customer support or via the myAT&T app. Just login and submit the unlock request.
- AT&T is mandated to process carrier unlocks within 2 business days once the requirements are met.
Following those AT&T-specific policies will successfully unlock your Note 10 Plus in a quick and legal manner.
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus Unlocking
T-Mobile also has standardized procedures in place for unlocking devices like the Note 10 Plus.
Here are their unlock policies to follow:
- The phone must have been active on T-Mobile for at least 40 days, according to mandated minimums.
- Any financing or payment plans need to show as fully paid off in billing statements.
- T-Mobile checks account statuses for any past due amounts or outstanding device payments before unlocking.
- Standard policy is to process unlocks automatically after meeting the above criteria. You can submit expedited requests through T-Force support on Twitter.
- Like other carriers in regulated regions, T-Mobile adheres to completing carrier unlocks within 2 business days. Faster in most cases.
Those steps cover the basics of unlocking a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus in an official manner. Reach out to their customer support team for any other unlock assistance.
Unlock Services as an Alternative Unlocking Option
If you meet roadblocks trying to get the carrier to unlock your device directly, third party unlock services are a fast andeasy alternative option.
These professional unlock companies have automated tools, carrier connections and resources to factory unlock cell phones from any major provider.
UnlockBase is my top recommended service for unlocking Samsung devices like the Galaxy Note 10 Plus remotely.
Here is a brief overview of how theirunlock service works:
- You select the exact model number of your Note 10 Plus from their order form.
- Checkout with cost between $15 to $30 depending on promotions. Much cheaper than paying early termination fees! Payment confirms the IMEI automatic unlock eligibility check.
- Processing completes remotely in 15 minutes once you receive and send the unique unlock code. Permanent factory unlock completed without any wiping of user data!
Going through a service like UnlockBase rather than the carrier directly can save huge hassles and lots of time trying to meet specific policies. I highly recommend checking them out as an easier Galaxy Note 10 Plus unlock option.
Using Your Note 10 Plus on Another Carrier After Unlock
Once successfully unlocked, you have full freedom to use your Samsung GalaxyNote 10 Plus on pretty much whichever carrier you want!
The main thing is it needs to be a GSM network for full compatibility. The Note 10 Plus hardware supports all of the following frequencies:
- GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100)
So all the major GSM networks worldwide will function normallyafter unlocking your Galaxy Note 10 Plus:
USA Unlocked Carrier Compatibility
- Metro by T-Mobile
- Cricket Wireless
- Simple Mobile
- List of 100+ GSM MVNOs
International Unlocked Carrier Compatibility
- 3 Network
- Tesco Mobile
- And dozens more worldwide GSM carriers
After getting your Galaxy Note 10 Plus unlocked, you also gain the ability to safely insert local SIM cards when traveling internationally. No need to pay expensive roaming fees in foreign countries.
So unlocking enables compatibility with tons of additional carrier options – both domestic and international GSM networks.
I hope this complete guide covered the full details on network unlocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus! Unlocking gives you way more flexibility in choosing cellular plans and carriers compared to using a locked-down phone.
The process is legal, safe for your device and lets you access so many more network options. Just follow the step-by-step unlocking instructions outlined above based on your specific carrier.
Professional third party unlock services like UnlockBase are also fantastic alternatives if you have any issues dealing with the carriers directly. Their automated and remote Samsung unlock systems deliver guaranteed results in 15 minutes.
Whichever unlock method you choose for your Note 10 Plus, enjoy the freedom and control once successfully unlocked! Changing SIM cards on a whim to get better deals orTravel globally without insane roaming fees. The possibilities are endless!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Do I need to unlock my Note 10 Plus?
Unlocking gives you the flexibility to use any GSM carrier. It’s recommended if you want provider choice.
Does unlocking void the warranty?
No, unlocking has no impact on the hardware warranty or software support.
Can a locked Note 10 Plus work abroad?
Only with an active SIM from the original carrier. Unlocking enables using local SIMs while traveling.
How long does the unlock process take?
Anywhere from 15 minutes using an automated service up to 48 hours going directly through your carrier.
Will I lose data if I unlock my phone?
No, the unlocking process does not wipe or erase any personal data or files.
Does my Note need to be paid off before unlocking?
Yes, most carriers require any payment plans to be fully paid before processing unlocks.
Do all Galaxy Note 10 Plus models work for unlocking?
Unlocking is supported globally on most standard GSM models. Some rare CDMA variants may not work.
What happens if my unlock code does not work?
Contact the unlock company for troubleshooting help or a refund. Each device has a unique code that cannot be reused.
Is buying an unlocked Note 10 Plus different?
Yes, an officially unlocked model works on any GSM network already without carrier restrictions.
How can I re-lock my Note if needed?
You can usually call the original carrier support and request for them to re-lock it. This restricts you back to only their service.