The Samsung Galaxy S6 is one of Samsung’s flagship phones, featuring a beautiful 5.1-inch quad HD display, powerful Exynos processor, and excellent 16MP camera. However, many Galaxy S6 units sold by carriers come locked, restricting you to only using that carrier’s SIM card. Thankfully, it is possible to unlock the code on your Galaxy S6 to use it on other GSM networks.
Unlocking your device’s code provides more freedom and flexibility to switch between different carriers and use local SIM cards when traveling internationally. This guide will walk you through the whole process of obtaining and entering an unlock code to fully unlock your Samsung Galaxy S6.
Before beginning the unlocking process, make sure your device meets the following requirements:
- It is a Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, or S6 Edge+. Other models have different unlocking procedures.
- The device is locked to a specific carrier. Unlocked phones do not require this procedure.
- You must have an active SIM card from the original carrier inserted. This is necessary to generate the unlock code.
You will also need the following to complete the unlock:
- The 15-digit IMEI number of your device. You can find this by dialing *#06# on your phone’s dial pad. Record this number.
- An unlock code generated specifically for your device’s IMEI number. There are many online services that can provide an unlock code for a small fee.
- A SIM card from another GSM carrier to insert once unlocked. Make sure the carrier frequencies are compatible with your region and device model.
As long as you meet these requirements, you are ready to move forward with unlocking!
Also Read: Unlock Samsung Galaxy S8: How to Guide
Obtaining Your Device Unlock Code
The first step to unlocking your Samsung Galaxy S6 is to obtain an unlock code. This unique code is generated based on your device’s IMEI number and will only work for your specific device.
Here is the process to purchase an unlock code:
Check if Your Device Qualifies
Before purchasing an unlock code, double check that your device meets all the prerequisites listed above. Also verify the following with your current carrier:
- Your contract obligations are completed, or you have completely paid off an installment plan. Carriers often require fulfilled agreements before they will provide unlock codes.
- The device is fully paid off. If still making payments, you must pay it off entirely first.
- Confirm your account is in good standing. Delinquent accounts may not be eligible for unlocks.
If everything checks out, you are ready for the next step!
Purchase an Unlock Code
There are many well-known and reputable online services that sell network unlock codes for Samsung devices:
- Cellunlocker.net – One of the largest unlocking sites, with over 7 million unlocks completed. Reliable customer service.
- The Unlockr – Around for over 10 years and very experienced with Samsung unlocks. Quick delivery of codes.
- UnlockBase -claim to have the largest database of unlock codes and over 20 million phones unlocked to date.
I recommend checking a few sites to compare prices. Average prices range from $20-50 USD, depending on phone model, specs, and original carrier.
To purchase your Galaxy S6 unlock code:
- Choose a reputable unlocking site and select your device model.
- Enter your 15-digit IMEI number when prompted.
- Select your original carrier (the one your phone is currently locked to).
- Make your online payment once the order details are confirmed.
After payment, you will receive your unique unlock code within 1-2 business days via email. Record this code to enter into your device later.
Unlocking Your Galaxy S6
Now that you have your device-specific unlock code in hand, you are ready to fully unlock your phone:
1. Insert Original Carrier SIM Card
Begin by powering off your Galaxy S6 and inserting the SIM card associated with the original carrier your phone is locked to. This is imperative or else the unlock code will fail to work properly.
If you don’t have your original SIM:
- Borrow a friend’s SIM that is locked to the same carrier.
- Purchase the cheapest, basic prepaid plan SIM from your carrier.
With the carrier SIM inserted, power your device back on.
2. Enter Unlock Code
Next, you’ll need to access your phone’s network unlock menu:
- Open your Galaxy S6 phone dialer.
- Dial #7465625 or #736854# into the phone dialer.
- Tap the green call button.
This will launch the hidden Network Unlock menu.
Within this menu:
- Enter the NCK unlock code you purchased.
- Tap Enable Network Lock/Unlock at the bottom.
- Tap Unlock when prompted.
The network unlock code will be processed and verified against your device.
If successful, you will see the message “Network unlock successful!” on your screen. Your permanent unlock is now complete!
If you receive an error, make sure you correctly entered the unlock code, have the original SIM inserted, and typed the NCK menu code properly. Try again before seeking help.
3. Insert New Carrier SIM
The final step is the best part – enjoying your fully unlocked Galaxy S6!
Turn off your device and replace the original carrier’s SIM card with one from your new preferred carrier. Power the phone back on and give it a minute to automatically configure the new SIM card.
You’ll know its working when you see your new carrier’s name displayed at the top of the screen! Feel free to add multiple SIMs from different carriers and easily switch between them.
That’s all there is to it! Keep reading for additional tips to get the most from your unlocked Samsung Galaxy S6.
Using an Unlocked Galaxy S6
Now you have successfully unlocked your Samsung Galaxy S6’s network code. Here are some useful tips for using your unlocked device:
Switch Carriers Easily
Have multiple SIM cards ready from different carriers or MVNOs like Straight Talk and simply swap them out anytime. With an unlocked phone, you have maximum flexibility. No more calling carriers asking them to unlock devices!
Use Local SIM Cards When Traveling
One major benefit of unlocking is avoiding expensive international roaming charges when traveling abroad. Simply purchase an inexpensive prepaid SIM card in your destination country and enjoy cheaper local call rates, texting, and internet data while traveling.
Update Software Faster
Phones locked to carriers often lag behind in major Android software updates until the carrier certifies the update. With an unlocked Galaxy S6 directly from Samsung, you’ll receive OS and security updates much quicker.
Improved Resale Value
Selling an unlocked Galaxy S6 can bring in a significantly higher resale price compared to a locked model. There is much higher demand for unlocked devices second-hand due to the increased carrier compatibility. Buyers are willing to pay 20-30% more money.
So get out there and start enjoying everything your unlocked Samsung Galaxy S6 has to offer! Switch between SIMs to compare carriers, slash international roaming fees when traveling, receive faster updates, and make more money if choosing to sell the device later on. The freedom of an unlocked phone can’t be beat.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if my device says “SIM network unlock failed” or “Unlock code incorrect”?
Double check that you have the 100% correct unlock code provided to you. Carefully enter it again in the Network Unlock menu code field. Also verify that the SIM card associated with original carrier is properly inserted before attempting the unlock.
I keep getting “Error, device permanently locked contact carrier” message. What should I do?
In rare cases, some carriers permanently lock certain devices. You would need to contact them directly to confirm if your device falls into this category before trying other unlocking options. Newer flagship phones are usually safe from permanent locks.
What if I don’t have my original carrier SIM card anymore?
As long as you have a friend willing to lend you their SIM locked to the same carrier, that will work. Alternatively, you can purchase even the cheapest basic prepaid plan SIM to generate the unlock code. The SIM does NOT have to remain active after the unlock for it to stay unlocked.
How can I tell if my device is network unlocked successfully or not?
The biggest test is swapping in a SIM card from a completely different carrier and checking if it works. If you see the new carrier name displayed at the top of your screen, then your Samsung Galaxy S6 unlock was successful.
I’m selling my phone. Is there a way for buyers to verify its unlocked?
Absolutely! Just provide the IMEI number to any potential buyers before meeting. They can contact carriers and verify with the IMEI number that the device is fully unlocked and ready for any SIM worldwide.
Still running into issues?
Don’t hesitate to contact the unlock code provider’s customer service or Samsung support. They have extensive experience troubleshooting unlocking problems. You’ll likely need to provide the full IMEI number along with specific error messages you are receiving.
With some patience and help, you can definitely get your Samsung Galaxy S6 unlocked properly. Just follow all steps carefully.
Once successfully unlocked on the network level, you’ll be able to use your Samsung Galaxy S6 to its full potential:
- Switch freely between different carriers whenever you want
- Use local carrier SIMs while traveling abroad for cheap connectivity
- Have the freedom to choose network providers based on your needs and preferences
No need to ever be stuck with an existing contract or worrry about early termination fees. Just pay out your device, unlock it, and enjoy all the flexibility benefits.